Guidelines for Submissions
We are interested in the subject of travel, but with a twist—we create content for kids! More specifically, we are looking for fiction or non-fiction, targeting children and young adults (ages 5-12), written in the form of a short story, children’s book or novel.
At this time, we are not accepting submissions of poetry, guide books, dissertations, theses, or informational pamphlets. We are passionate about transforming young readers into global explorers so your story should take them on a journey, embracing the five senses and paying homage to a region’s culture and/or history.
Original submissions only please.
- Your submission should be 500-1,000 words.
- Use a single primary font (we recommend 12 pt. Times New Roman) and subheaders to break up longer text.
- Send your completed manuscript in Word (.doc) format to firstname.lastname@example.org, no query letter is needed.
- Include the category (see below) in your subject line.
- Images are optional, however, please do not include any copyrighted photos.
- Submit by the 28th of each month for a chance to be featured in our Travel Writer’s Spotlight the following month (new for 2020!)
We are currently accepting short stories for our blog, in the following categories:
Strange & Spooky
These stories will introduce our young readers to strange and spooky phenomenon from around the world. Whether it’s in reference to historical legends (like Count Dracula) or natural phenomenon (like quicksand), if it’s weird or bone-chilling, we want to hear about it!
Dream Jar Destinations
Tales of far off places, lands of enchantment, beauty and adventure—can you write about real destinations in a way that appeals to young kids? There is a serious lack of travel memoirs for young readers. We want writers who can tell their own personal stories in a captivating way to engage readers between the ages of 5-12 years old.
Books Beyond Borders
Our Bedtime Stories project is inspiring kids to dream big. We are seeking talented writers who can create fictional tales that take place around the globe. They will be shared in both text and audio format so even our youngest fans can journey along with us!
Creative fiction is a wonderful way to ignite the imagination and get kids excited about the world around them. We welcome both print and digital proposals.
- Send a query letter, along with your completed manuscript in Word (.doc) format to email@example.com.
- Please specify in your query letter whether your preference is for digital (e-book) or print.
- Your book may include photos or illustrations, though it is not required.
We work with a very small handful of authors at one time because quality is more important to us than quantity. The benefit is a close working relationship with much of our focus on you and your book. Unlike many larger publishing companies, we support you every step of the way, offering editing services, printing & distribution, and publicity before, during and after launch. We do not ask that you sign over existing copyrights to us, however we do require a license to use, reproduce, publish, translate, distribute, and publicize your submitted work in perpetuity.
We do charge a nominal reading fee ($3) for these longer submissions. This helps keep our administrative costs down by minimizing the flow of inappropriate submissions. It also shows us you are serious about your work. If you are still interested, click here to begin the submission process.
Our open call for submissions is competitive and only a limited number will be accepted in any given year. Please understand that while we greatly appreciate your submission, we may only respond to those with whom we wish to pursue a partnership.
Licensing and Copyrights
You, as the writer, retain all copyrights to the submitted images and written works but agree to grant us a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sub-licensable right and license to use, reproduce, publish, translate, distribute, and publicize your submission.
By submitting your work you agree to any and all edits we deem necessary to better align with the interests of our readership. We will always strive to preserve the integrity of the original manuscript.
If you include excerpts from copyrighted works, you must obtain permission from the copyright holder prior to submitting your manuscript. If you cannot grant us these rights do not submit your work.
By submitting your work to Travelnitch you warrant that:
- you are over the age of 18.*
- your submission is your own original work and you have the right to make it available to us for all the purposes identified above.
- you will indemnify us against all legal fees/damages and all associated costs that we may incur as a result of your breach of the above warranty.
- your submission is not defamatory and does not infringe on any law.
All submissions must adhere to the guidelines above. Failure to comply means your manuscript may not be reviewed.
*Individuals under the age of 18 who wish to submit content must have a parent submit on his/her behalf.